History

Gateway to Europe since 1945

It all started with the Americans: In 1945, after the end of World War II, the US military expanded the existing airfield into an air base labelled “Gateway to Europe.” Three years later, it served as one of the hubs of the Berlin Airlift, with around 100,000 cargo flights departing from here.

During the next four decades, Gateway Gardens became an American housing estate in the heart of Germany: around 2500 residents had their own supermarkets, movie theatres, schools, youth club, preschool here. In fact, they even their own newspaper, the “Gateway.”

After the end of the Cold War, the United States returned the area to the City of Frankfurt am Main. Today, the city is developing Gateway Gardens in a joint venture with three private-sector partners: Fraport, Gross & Partner, and OFB. The rest is history – and a bright future.

Register for a guided tour by Frankfurter Stadtevents